Saturday 4 October 2014

Abdul Butt: Making trouble for laughs 22 Minutes a week

Abdul Butt

Since he was six years old, Montreal comedian Abdul Butt had a talent for getting himself into trouble, especially for saying things that he shouldn’t be saying in the first place at such an early age.


“I was always saying stupid things and thinking those were things you can say when you were six years old,” he said. “However, I always got in trouble at school for that and I thought how come I am not allowed to say that word? I was always singled out; I made people laugh and got in trouble for it.”

Somehow, Butt made getting into trouble for laughs a career, as his videos where he buttonholes not only ordinary Canadians, but also prominent Canadian politicians, have become a fixture on the CBC TV satirical news show “This Hour Has 22 Minutes” (or 22 Minutes for short) over the past two years. And now Butt is ready to cause more humorous trouble, as the 22nd season of 22 Minutes begins this Tuesday night (October 7) at 8:30 p.m. on CBC, along with fellow cast members Mark Critch, Shaun Majumder, Susan Kent and Cathy Jones, who has been with the show since its debut in 1993.

Butt’s road to 22 Minutes began in Chateauguay, where he grew up watching Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, Martin Lawrence and Air Farce on TV, as well as VHS cassettes of old Red Skelton Show sketches from the 1950s and 60s with his older brothers, one of them, Billal, is now CHOM-FM’s afternoon drive show host.

When Butt attended Howard S. Billings High School, his propensity to cause trouble for laughs continued even further. “I wasn’t a bad kid, I just liked to joke around a lot. Somehow, as a result, I spent a lot of time in the hallways outside my classroom or in the principal’s office,” said Butt during an interview I conducted with him one late night in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency Hotel during this year’s Just For Laughs festival.

However, when he started attending Just For Laughs shows at the age of 17 (starting with the Ethnic Show), Butt realized he can be a stand up comic and make people laugh for a living without getting himself into trouble and earning him another trip to the principal’s office. By the time he was 21, Butt began doing open mic nights at the recently closed Comedyworks club. But when the club was reducing the number of open mic night shows, he realized that he could get a wider audience by simply making comedy videos and downloading them on YouTube. Most of those videos were mainly streeters that were similar to the type Rick Mercer did when he was a cast member on 22 Minutes. And somehow, Butt’s streeter videos caught the attention of soon-to-be 22 Minutes colleague Mark Critch, who sent samples of his videos to the producers of the show in Halifax.

“I met Critch at Just For Laughs two years ago when I sent him samples of my videos, and the following spring, they contacted me out of nowhere and asked me to come up with an idea to do a streeter video, and brought a camera crew to Montreal to help me shoot it,” he said.

Butt admits that his favorite videos are the ones when he ambushes Canadian politicians (which echoed the type of video segments that were done by former 22 Minutes cast member Mary Walsh in the guise of her alter ego Marge Delahunty). In that vein, Butt points out two segments that he is most proud of.

The first was when he confronted the mayor of the Quebec town of Herouxville, who garnered a great deal of controversy for his reasonable accommodation legislation regarding ethnic residents of his town. “It was a real pleasure to sit down with him and making him look really ridiculous,” he said. “I got to call him a racist on the CBC and presented him with a plaque that cited him as the #1 racist for his intolerance towards ethnic cultures. I never thought the segment would air, and when it aired, it was like the greatest feeling ever.”

The second moment was when Butt wanted to present a similar plaque to former Quebec Premier Pauline Marois in honour of her notorious Charter of Values. After fruitless attempts to arrange something with Marois’ representatives, he had no choice but to take the ambush route. “I was really nervous about it, because I was worried about the police taking the routine in a bad way, so I needed to say it in a right way, so it wouldn’t get me tackled to the ground by the police; however, I had another plan if I got arrested … I would say that the arresting officer was a cast member from ‘Just For Laughs Gags’!”, admitted Butt.

“In the end, Marois ran away from me,” he added. “I was upset about that because she didn’t stay to accept the award.” The incident ended up making headlines the following day in the pages of The National Post.

As Butt gets ready for more video comedy segments for 22 Minutes’ 22nd season (with Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre and Prime Minister Stephen Harper high atop his ambush wish list), he enjoys his career as a troublemaker for laughs. “It’s not always glamourous standing outside in -40 degree weather hoping to run into a politician,” he said. “But I am very lucky to be doing this and I love it, because that’s what I do on my own anyways. And collecting a paycheque for it is quite surreal.”

To see a sampling of Abdul Butt’s comedy videos, check out his website at www.abdulbutt.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment